Mind and Gut: The conundrum of chronic illness
The second MCIBD conference was held on June 10, 2017 at Lister Hall, University of Alberta. This conference focused on the interactions between chronic illness such as IBD and mental health. The conference included a series of interactive seminars, and workshops, led by expert clinicians in IBD management, psychiatry, psychology, nursing and alternative medicine. More than 40 physicians, nurses, and allied health professionals involved in the care of men and women with IBD attended the educational event. The event was sponsored by U of A FOMD, and several pharmaceutical companies (Abbvie, Janssen, Takeda, Merck, Ferring, Shire).
Please view the agenda for program topics, objectives and format.
You can download PDF’s of the presentation by clicking on the links below.
- Introduction – Mind and Gut: Help your patient deal with chronic illness Vivian Huang
- Seminar 1 – IBD Disease Activity: Physical and psychological effects Daniel Sadowski
- Seminar 2 – Fatigue and IBD: My gut is normal – why I am still tired? Karen Kroeker
- Seminar 3 – Chronic Pain and Chronic Illness: Beyond the opiates Dallis Westin
- Seminar 4 – Cognitive Behavioural Therapy for Chronic Illness: Empower your patient to cope Glenda MacQueen
- Seminar 5 – Mood Disorders and the (peri- and post-partum) Parent with IBD Dawn Kingston
- Seminar 6 – Quality of Care: The multidisciplinary team approach to management of IBD Lisa Westin
- Seminar 7 – Clinical and Translational Research: The future of IBD and the importance of
community involvement Karen Madsen
- Seminar 8 – Traditional Chinese Medicine Approach to IBD Steven Aung