- What are steroids?
- these are medications that suppress the inflammation, but have many side effects
- e.g. prednisone, budesonide
- Can steroids be used long term?
- steroids are NOT meant for long term use, they are NOT maintenance medications. Steroids have too many side effects and should be tapered as soon as possible
- How are steroids taken?
- steroids can be oral tablets OR intravenous (in hospital administration)
- steroids also come in topical (enemas or suppositories) form for distal colitis
- What are the side effects of steroids?