- what are small molecule drugs?
- small molecule drugs are NOT proteins, they are drugs with a chemical structure
- currently (2019) the small molecule for IBD include the JAK (Janus Kinase) inhibitors
- what are small molecule drugs used for treatment of IBD?
- JAK-1 and JAK-3 inhibitor – Tofacitinib (Xeljanz) – is the Health Canada approved JAK inhibitor for treatment of ulcerative colitis
- how is Tofacitinib taken? what kind of monitoring is required
- it is an oral pill taken twice daily.
- people taking Tofacitinib should have regular blood work for – blood counts, liver tests, cholesterol