5-aminosalicylates (5-ASA) agents
- what are 5-ASA?
- these are mesalamine containing compounds, with very few side effects
- e.g. Asacol, Mesavant, Pentasa, Salofalk
- who uses 5-ASA?
- 5-ASA are most commonly used to treat ulcerative colitis, although some patients with Crohn’s colitis may find benefit
- how are 5-ASA taken?
- they can be taken orally once to several times a day
- there are topical forms (liquids, foams, suppositories that melt) which were made to coat the inner lining of the rectum and last part of the colon
- the topical therapies may help with healing of the rectum (and help with the symptoms of urgency, rectal bleeding)