The Preconception and Pregnancy in IBD clinic is a specialized clinic which provides the following:
- clinical IBD monitoring and management during pre-conception, pregnancy, peri-partum, and post-partum
- education regarding the effects of IBD and medications on fertility, pregnancy, and breastfeeding
- liaison with high risk obstetrics and maternal-fetal medicine
- access to an IBD dietician consultation and other resources
- opportunities to participate in clinical research studies
The clinic follows a concurrent care model, meaning that patients continue to follow with their primary gastroenterologist, while receiving the above additional care during this important time in life. The aim is to help women with IBD, their families, and their health care team to make informed decisions, improve maternal, fetal, and neonatal outcomes, and to provide them with resources and support.