- what are immunosuppressants?
- these are medications designed to suppress or modify the immune system
- thiopurines (e.g. azathioprine (Imuran), 6-mercaptopurine (Purinethol)); e.g. Methotrexate
- thiopurines are oral tablets and are taken DAILY
- remember to do your regular blood work as you increase the doses of these medications to reach your regular maintenance dose
- methotrexate can be taken as oral tablets OR injections and is dosed WEEKLY
- methotrexate is a teratogen (causes malformed fetus and miscarriage) and should be stopped at least 3 to 6 months BEFORE attempting to conceive)