What is MCIBD: Multidisciplinary Care for IBD conference series?
MCIBD is a Continuing Health Education initiative for the Northern Alberta physicians and health care providers who manage IBD. MCIBD is a series of conferences started in 2016, with the aim is to facilitate collaboration and exchange of evidence-based strategies and guidelines to use in clinical practice. Each year, a different topic is selected and guest speakers invited from local and provincial areas.
Mind and Gut: The conundrum of chronic illness
The second MCIBD conference was held on June 10, 2017 at Lister Hall, University of Alberta. This conference focused on the interactions between chronic illness such as IBD and mental health. The conference included a series of interactive seminars, and workshops, led by expert clinicians in IBD management, psychiatry, psychology, nursing and alternative medicine. More than 40 physicians, nurses, and allied health professionals involved in the care of men and women with IBD attended the educational event. The event was sponsored by U of A FOMD, and several pharmaceutical companies (Abbvie, Janssen, Takeda, Merck, Ferring, Shire).
Please view the agenda for program topics, objectives and format.
You can download PDF’s of the presentation by clicking on the links below.
- Introduction – Mind and Gut: Help your patient deal with chronic illness Vivian Huang
- Seminar 1 – IBD Disease Activity: Physical and psychological effects Daniel Sadowski
- Seminar 2 – Fatigue and IBD: My gut is normal – why I am still tired? Karen Kroeker
- Seminar 3 – Chronic Pain and Chronic Illness: Beyond the opiates Dallis Westin
- Seminar 4 – Cognitive Behavioural Therapy for Chronic Illness: Empower your patient to cope Glenda MacQueen
- Seminar 5 – Mood Disorders and the (peri- and post-partum) Parent with IBD Dawn Kingston
- Seminar 6 – Quality of Care: The multidisciplinary team approach to management of IBD Lisa Westin
- Seminar 7 – Clinical and Translational Research: The future of IBD and the importance of
community involvement Karen Madsen
- Seminar 8 – Traditional Chinese Medicine Approach to IBD Steven Aung
Managing IBD During Pregnancy, Evidence-based Strategies & Guidelines to use in Clinical Practice – “Strength through shared knowledge”
The first MCIBD conference was held March 12, 2016 at Royal Mayfair Golf Club. The conference included a series of interactive seminars, and workshops, led by expert clinicians in IBD management, maternal fetal medicine, obstetrics, general surgery, IBD nursing care, and dietician. More than 40 physicians, nurses, and allied health professionals involved in the care of men and women with IBD attended the educational event. The event was sponsored by AIHS, U of A FOMD, and several pharmaceutical companies (Abbvie, Janssen, Takeda, Ferring, Shire). Attendees were provided copies of the newly published Toronto Consensus Statements on the Management of IBD During Pregnancy, as well as the opportunity to meet experts in the field and ask questions.